Installation on Mac OS X
Please follow these step to get openHAB up and running. You have the choice to use the current stable version or the latest snapshot build.
- Download the openHAB distribution as the platform independent
ziparchive, provided at:
- Open the terminal window.
- Choose a folder name to host your install. The directory will be created in your home folder. Be aware that the path to this folder, and the name of the folder itself, must not contain any space character in order to prevent this classical cause of crash. The name chosen here is
- Use the
lscommand in order to check that your directory does not exists yet.
cal:~ callas$ ls Desktop Movies Documents Music Downloads Pictures Library Public
- Move the downloaded file. Assuming that you have downloaded the file in your download folder, the command will be:
cal:~ admin$ mv Downloads/openhab-2 openhab
- Use the “ls” command in order to check that your directory exists now.
cal:~ callas$ ls Desktop Movies Public Documents Music Downloads openhab Library Pictures
- Move inside the
openhabfolder using the “cd” command.
cal:~ callas$ cd openhab/
- Use the “ls” command in order to check what is inside.
cal:openhab admin$ ls LICENSE.TXT conf start.bat start_debug.bat userdata addons runtime start.sh start_debug.sh
Launching openHAB for the first time
We are going to launch openHAB for the first time, in order to check that our install is successful.
In the terminal window, type ./start.sh
Messages are displayed, wait until the “openhab>” prompt appears.
cal:openhab admin$ ./start.sh Launching the openHAB runtime... __ _____ ____ ____ ____ ___ ____ / / / / | / __ ) / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __ | / /_/ / /_/ / __/ / / / __ / ___ |/ /_/ / \____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/ |_/_____/ /_/ 2.0.0 ... Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command. Hit '<ctrl-d>' or type 'system:shutdown' or 'logout' to shutdown openHAB. openhab>
- Without closing the terminal, open your favorite web browser and type the following url : http://localhost:8080, you should see the openHAB welcome screen.
Which browser should I use?
Safari is supported by openHAB but Google Chrome is recommended (due to the fact it’s used by the openHAB developer community and by the owner of the ZWave plugin)